Thursday, December 30, 2010

What's in a name?

I sometimes debate with atheists/evolutionists on various web site forums. It's a bad habit of mine! Usually, for the most part, these discussions can be quite reasonable and cordial. I do try hard to answer questions about the Bible honestly and fairly noting that many atheists it seems have a lot of misconceptions with God's nature and character and the Bible in general.

Yet I'm always left with certain questions.

For example one question I like to ask the atheists/evolutionists is, "Shouldn't Christopher Higgins change his name?" I mean most names have a meaning attached to them. Mine for example, David, means "beloved." Biblical names have meaning.

Christopher is a derivation of a Biblical name, or in this case a title and is of Greek origin. It means "bearing Christ inside". Higgins is obviously an atheist so I doubt he's bearing Christ on the inside (not saying that there isn't hope one day that he will!). I mean to be consistent one would think that the first thing an atheist would want to do is change their name once they become an atheist. It seems to make sense; to automatically want to divulge themselves of any name that has Hebrew/Biblical origins, right?

Christopher Hitchens, from what I've been told about his huge brain and wonderful intellect is, apparently, not like "other people" (though he puts his pants on one leg at a time like you and I do). I just think such a grand thinker as Chris is would have "thought" about this and changed his name accordingly.

Just an observation. Carry on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Introducing Side Issues—Brethren should not feel that it is a
virtue to stand apart because they do not see all minor points in exactly
the same light. If they agree on fundamental truths, they should not
differ and dispute about matters of little real importance. To dwell on
perplexing questions, that after all are of no vital consequence, tends to
call the mind away from truths vital to the saving of the soul. Brethren
should be very modest in urging these side issues which often they do
not themselves understand, points that they do not know to be truth and
that are not essential to salvation....
I have been shown that it is the device of the enemy
182
to divert men’s minds to some obscure or unimportant point, something
that is not fully revealed or is not essential to salvation. This is made the
absorbing theme, the “present truth,” when all the investigations and
suppositions only serve to make matters more obscure and to confuse
the minds of some who ought to be seeking for oneness through
sanctification of the truth.—Undated Manuscript 111. Ellen G White (from "Evangelism", compiled by the White Estate holders, available online)

SDA Lifestyle Center said...

You are raising a topic regarding the name of "Christopher Higgins". I think most of the people should know about this information. So I like this article very much. I will definitely be back. Hope that I can study much more helpful posts then. Will likely be sharing your wisdom with all of my associates!